Coach John Franklin, Our New PE Teacher & Baseball Coach

Leo Feng, Staff Writer

With a new school year often comes new teachers. This year was no different. Coach John Franklin arrived this year to the SMHS campus. So what classes does Coach Franklin teach? In 1st, 2nd, and 6th period, he teaches PE while he teaches health and life sciences for 3rd and 4th period. “He’s really nice and his class is extremely fun,” Evan Bruno (9) said. If you have him, make sure to let him know that he’s welcome on the SMHS campus. Make him feel at home. Make him feel like he belongs here with us.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time so far here at the school. The students are engaged. They are eager to learn and better learners than anybody I’ve ever taught,” Coach Franklin said. “What separates SMHS from any other school is the support and welcoming atmosphere that it has. Everybody is encouraging. The students, staff, all of them have helped ease me into this new environment. It’s unlike any school I’ve been to before.”

It’s clear that Coach Franklin will be a welcome addition to the SMHS teaching staff, not only as a teacher but also as a mentor. As the new varsity baseball coach, Coach Franklin also has an extensive career as both a coach and an incredibly successful player. Ranging from setting the single season and career save record at Cal Poly Pomona to leading the same school to the College World Series, it’s safe to say that Coach Franklin has plenty of baseball experience. He’s also taught PE and coached baseball at both Whittier High School and City Honors International High School.

Last year, mainly due to COVID as well as a few other factors, the varsity baseball team struggled, ending up going 1-10 during the season. Hopefully, under the guidance of Coach Franklin, a new Titan baseball dynasty will emerge.