Alabama vs. Georgia: The National Championship

Evan Bruno, Staff Writer

An exciting season full of upsets, surprises, triumph, and defeat all came down to one game. The college football world looked on towards Indianapolis, as the top-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide would look to defend their crown against the third-ranked Georgia Bulldogs. A lot of intrigue surrounded this game, as just a few weeks earlier Alabama defeated Georgia in the Southeastern Conference Championship Game. Would Georgia take their first title since 1980, or would Alabama take their second straight?

A lot of players stood out even before the game kicked off. Georgia Defensive Lineman Jordan Davis, Linebacker Nakobe Dean, and Reciever George Pickens all wanted to make big impressions before the upcoming NFL draft. For Bama, these players that needed to make a splash were Linebacker Will Anderson, Receiver Jameson Williams, and Offensive Lineman Evan Neal. Of course, the biggest battle would be between the quarterbacks. Alabama’s self proclaimed “underdog” Bryce Young, a former five-star recruit out of Mater Dei High School, would lead the Tide in just his freshman season. However, Georgia’s Stetson Bennett is the real underdog. After playing at a community college, he earned a scholarship to his dream school and fought for the starting job. He earned it, but would he earn a national title?

Kickoff time came, and the first half was all field goals. At the half, Alabama led nine to six. But a critical injury came for the Tide, as star receiver Jameson Williams collapsed in the second quarter. Later information told us that he had torn his ACL. This loss was huge, as without Williams the Crimson Tide were missing their top two receivers, as John Metchie got injured a few weeks prior to the game. However, the pace of the game would change in the second half. 

The second half of the game was thrilling and exciting, considered to be a shootout. It was a battle of offenses, and the game was back and forth. However, the game was practically sealed after Georgia, who already had an eight point lead, got a pick six, allowing Georgia to take the lead 33-18, which would also end up being the final score. Georgia had won their first national championship since 1980, and as teams already look on to next season however, Alabama is the team to beat.