From in-Person to Online: 2021-2022 Back to School Night

Leah Dean, Staff Writer

The Back to School Night (BTSN) is traditionally the time for SMHS parents to learn more about the courses their kids take and to meet their teachers in person. The 2021-2022 BTSN was initially supposed to be an in-person event, but with signs of increased transmission of the new Delta COVID-19 variant, it was moved online.

We are sorry to have to be in this position again but we are confident that should we continue to take these small steps of safety we can continue with what we all are most concerned with: keeping our students in classes, in person,” SMHS Principal, Mr. Jason Kurtenbach, wrote to the parents the day before BTSN.

Despite some minor technical difficulties, parents appreciated how well the SMHS teachers were able to move to a virtual night on Wednesday, August 25, 2021. 

The Titan Shield talked to three freshmen parents about their experience.

“It was great to put faces to names and learn more about the teachers and curriculum. They all did a great job shifting to online,” Jennifer Kang, mom of Elle Kang (9), said. “I was looking forward to seeing the ‘new’ campus (as an SMHS alum, I have yet to see the new buildings) and to interacting with fellow parents, but understood the need to shift.”

Although the experience may have been a bit more interactive in person, in terms of being able to converse between parents and teachers, one benefit of zoom was being able to see everyone’s entire faces!” Mikah O’Mara, mom of Mark O’Mara (9), said. “We are lucky to have an administration that listens to the concerns of the parents and is committed to the safety of our entire community. I look forward to other opportunities to be together in person, including Titan athletic events.”

“I give the teachers a lot of credit for quickly preparing for an online BTSN. Many parents had their cameras off and it can be tough talking to an audience of screens, without the feedback of an in person audience,” Dori Mukherjee, mom of Noah Mukherjee (9), said. “However, all of the teachers were upbeat and pressed on like the wonderful professionals that they are. Thank you to our teachers and staff for making this happen.”