AP vs Non AP

Aayan Khan, Editor in Chief

The decision to enroll in Advanced Placement (AP) classes can be a daunting one for high school students. The rigor and difficulty of the courses can seem overwhelming, and students may wonder if the extra effort is truly worth it. However, the benefits of taking AP classes and exams far outweigh the challenges.

One of the primary advantages of AP classes is the opportunity to earn college credit. By performing well on the end-of-year AP exams, students can demonstrate their mastery of college-level material and potentially earn credit towards their college degree. This can lead to significant financial savings, as students can graduate college in fewer semesters and avoid paying tuition for courses they have already completed. Furthermore, earning college credit through AP courses can help students explore different academic paths and take on more challenging courses in college.

In addition to the financial benefits, taking AP classes can also strengthen a student’s college application. Admissions officers look for students who are willing to challenge themselves academically, and taking rigorous AP courses demonstrates a student’s academic strengths and commitment to learning. In a highly competitive college admissions process, standing out from the crowd can make all the difference.

But what about the challenge of actually succeeding in AP classes? It is true that AP courses are demanding, but with the right mindset and resources, students can overcome the difficulty. For starters, many schools offer support services such as tutoring, study groups, and review sessions to help students stay on track. Additionally, there are many online resources available to students, including prep courses and study guides. Finally, AP teachers themselves are often willing to provide extra help and support to students who are struggling.

Ultimately, the key to success in AP classes is hard work and dedication. Students must be willing to put in the extra time and effort required to excel in these courses. But with the right mindset and resources, anyone can succeed in AP classes.

Of course, it’s important to remember that AP classes are not the only way to achieve academic success in high school. There are many other ways to challenge oneself and demonstrate academic strengths, such as taking honors courses or pursuing independent research projects. However, for students who are up for the challenge, AP classes offer a unique opportunity to earn college credit and stand out in the college admissions process.

The decision to take AP classes is a personal one that should be based on a variety of factors, including academic goals, interests, and personal strengths. However, for students who are willing to put in the extra effort required to succeed, the benefits of AP classes are numerous. From earning college credit to strengthening college applications, AP classes offer students endless opportunities for academic and personal growth.

“Personally, I think AP’s are a great way to help better prepare you for college, as well as a good gpa boost, as long as you are willing to put in the effort,” Brian Heckman, 11, said.