Huntington Middle School: National Blue Ribbon School of 2021

Ariel Jiang, Editor

On September 24, 2020, Carver Elementary School became one of the 367 National Blue Ribbon Schools of the year. A year later, On September 22, 2021, we proudly announced that Huntington Middle School became one of the 325 National Blue Ribbon Schools of the year and that it was the ONLY middle school in California awarded in 2021. 

The award is significant. The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program(or NBRS) is a program that recognizes all schools —— public and private, elementary, middle, and high schools —— based on the school’s overall academic performance and progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. 

“As you may or may not know, HMS was recognized in 1996 as a National Blue Ribbon School. Now, here we are 25 years later in 2021 receiving a second award as a National Blue Ribbon School[NBRS]. We are in rare company! This distinguished award is a true reflection of HMS as a high performing middle school in the USA. Only 45 middle schools (15% of the award recipients, 325 total) are a NBRS program awardee. To take it one step further, HMS is the only middle school (public or private) in California to be a NBRS recipient. HMS truly holds a tradition of academic excellence. 

“The teachers, instructional support staff and student support staff deserve every bit of praise and accolades that come with this prestigious award. The entire HMS staff press on daily with a relentless pursuit of excellence, not only of themselves, but of their students. Students thrive and achieve at all levels because HMS teachers value each and every student’s progress. The HMS motto is “every student is a valued and an active learner,” and when you hold true to your values/motto with honor and excellence, good things will come. Being recognized as a NMRS is a direct result of this.” Huntington Middle School Principal Daryl R. Topalian said.