Should Schools Close Amidst the COVID-19 Spike?

Arwen Wen, Editor

As the COVID-19 omicron coronavirus variant spreads in surges across the nation, many schools have reverted to Zoom and asynchronous classes, as done for most of the previous school year. As of the sixth of January, three University of California (UC) campuses have said that they will continue to hold classes online only until the end of the month amid the surge.

So, should California publics schools close amidst the COVID-19 spike? Some school have already been forced to close for a few days, such as at Gabrielino High School, in San Gabriel. Across the country, several TK-12 schools have already closed and resumed virtual learning, in fear of the continued spread of the virus.

Having teenagers congested daily in a limited area, especially with friends and/or family, seems especially risky considering the numbers that are currently rising very rapidly. Take into consideration the fact that many are, in fact, teenagers, and the six-hour school day that includes a snack and lunch break (both of which lead to the removal of masks), it’s not unlikely for the coronavirus to spread on campuses. 

Though many teachers, administrators, and students may not like this option; it’s reportedly interfered with learning, this option makes for safe learning, rather than having the risk of potentially contracting the virus on school grounds; especially for those with immunity-compromised relatives at home. All in all, a return to online school, no matter how brief, seems to be the best option here.